The Surly Admin

Father, husband, IT Pro, cancer survivor

Opening up my Scripts

I have a confession to make.  I’m really busy at work.  So busy, and challenged, that I haven’t had much time to keep the blog going and certainly not enough time to help support all the scripts I’ve written.  In fact, if you’re subscribed to the Employee Directory post, you’ve seen the back and forth going on there!  I feel really bad that I haven’t been able to get back to the few of you who have reached out to me because you’re running into problems, but the work/life balance is a little skewed right now and the blog and supporting you is what’s had to drop off.

The other problem is I don’t have the infrastructure around to support some of the scripts, the DFS Monitor comes to mind!  No DFS here at work so hard to test!

So what to do?  I want people to enjoy my scripts and I’d like to continue seeing development happen on them.  So time to get these things out on GitHub.  This way if you want to make changes you can fork the code off and do your thing and even put in a pull request–I swear that should be a push request, but that’s just me–and if I like what I see I’ll merge it in with the main code.

You can find me here, and the scripts I’ve published so far:

That’s all I have right now, but if there’s a script you’d really like to see up there just let me know in comments and I’ll get it posted ASAP.  I hope this helps!

 

 

April 14, 2015 Posted by | General, PowerShell | , , | Leave a comment

New Version: Employee Directory

I keep getting requests “Can I get this field?” or “Can I get that field?” for the Employee Directory script and honestly it wasn’t designed for that.  The header in the table has to be manually changed, and the JavaScript that does the button filtering has to be altered.  Not to mention the reverse engineering that has to occur because I don’t necessarily remember everything I did in the script 6 months ago!  So it was time to sit down with the script and see if there was something I could do about this.  Here’s what I came up with.

Continue reading

May 16, 2013 Posted by | PowerShell | , , | 113 Comments

Custom Employee Directory Update

The other day Richard Hipkin over at Spiceworks requested a custom version of the Employee Directory that I blogged about last week.  The irony, and isn’t this always the case, is that he wanted something I had removed from the original vbScript that had been there!  Richard wanted to add Location as well as the employee’s manager into the mix.  Normally this would have been pretty simple and I would have just sent it over to him without comment but I ran into an interesting problem that I wanted to write about here.

Continue reading

October 25, 2012 Posted by | PowerShell | , | Leave a comment

Employee Directory with Photo’s Part 2

Part two of my talk about converting my Employee Directory with Photo’s vbScript into Powershell.  Part one here.

Continue reading

October 18, 2012 Posted by | PowerShell | , | 1 Comment

Employee Directory With Photo’s Part 1

One of my favorite projects this last year was creating an Employee Directory with Photo’s webpage.  Of course, with me it’s never enough just to create a static page, it needs to be coming straight from a central database like Active Directory.  This was a tough project because it also involved using Javascript on the page itself to do some on page searches.  I know very little Javascript and found it very challenging to figure this part out, and even had to reach out to the Spiceworks community for some help (thanks Snozzberries) on some of the coding.  Written in vbScript it was 383 lines of goodness.

But I’m all about Powershell now, and it was time for a re-write!

Continue reading

October 15, 2012 Posted by | PowerShell | , , , | 6 Comments