Inspired from this script, I decided to expand on it and have Powershell get all of the extensions and report on everything. I also decided to pretty up the report using some HTML. Read on for this quick hit!
I’d just like to wish you and your family the best Thanksgiving wishes.
Stay safe, stay sane and remember what’s really important to you.
Interesting script request through Spiceworks last week, where QQQ was asking to find out who was logged in on his computers at any given moment. This seemed like a relatively easy script to throw together, here’s how I did it.
As I’ve mentioned before, I enjoy trolling the scripts at Spiceworks and converting the vbScripts that are interesting over to Powershell in an attempt to see if I can not only shorten them, but improve them. One interesting example came by last week, the Get File Size for a Specific Extension script. Here’s what I did with it.
If you have Veeam Backup and Replication software, you know what a great backup program it is. You also know it completely lacks any ability to copy its backup files to tape or external media–though Veeam is saying that with their next major release they will have this capability. Until that happens we need to use another program to copy these files and to do the few things Veeam can’t do, I use Backup Exec for these tasks. But one thing that’s lacking is any real tie between Backup Exec (BE) and Veeam. What do I mean by that? I schedule my weekly copy of Veeam backup files and hope that the Veeam backups are actually done before it runs. This simple script takes the guess work out of it and puts you back in control. Read on to see what I mean.
No post today for a couple of reasons. Last two weeks have been remarkably busy, what with my backup server crashing 2 weeks ago (here) and then one of our ERP’s crashing last week–yes, we have two, don’t ask!–I just haven’t had time to work on my script projects. It’s also been pretty quiet on the Spiceworks front so nothing really interesting coming across there.
Was reading another blog from Tome Tanasovski and he was doing a simple series on learning Powershell. One of his suggestions was taking a large dictionary file and finding all of the five letter words and locating the Palindromes. I thought this would be interesting, and another opportunity to look at performance and Powershell.